Sunday, October 4, 2009

Two Months Later.....


It's been two months since my last blog, and to be honest it is a clear representation of how my life has progressed over this period. To sum it up, I have been stagnant and without much growth. However, I'm thankful God's grace is sufficient to pull my ignorant, rebellious heart back to him. This morning I received this devotional in an email; the words are, again, from Charles H. Spurgeon.

"Many of you know more about your magazines and novels--than what God has written! Many of you will read a novel from the beginning to the end, and what have you got? A head full of froth when you are done! But you cannot read the Bible--that solid, lasting, substantial, and satisfying food goes uneaten, locked up in the cupboard of neglect--while anything that man writes, a best-seller of the day--you greedily devour!"

To challenge Spurgeon would be ludicrous, for his words reveal so much truth about the sad state of Christianity. We have the Word given from God, the very Creator has spoken throughout all of history and it is recorded for us to reflect on. The availability of the Bible perhaps works against us; we sit with multiple copies (5 within my sight) and yet rarely open them expecting the Almighty God to speak through the words. Where have I been for two months? I have been hiding from these words; why, because they are boring? No, the reason so many of us hide from this Word of Life is because it is not boring, it calls for a response and a reaction. Our God calls out to us and asks us to call back to him, giving up what else may distract us in order that we may fully be in His grasp, not holding on to other things.

This is not to tell everyone that they must give up all other books and possesions, just holding onto the Bible, but it does present a question we must all answer. What have I not been able to live without today? Television? School? Work? Family? Facebook? Coffee? Sports? Was I able to get through my day without humbly approaching the words of my God? Just ask yourself, what must I have each day that I could not live without? If you must have God, you must have His Word. Please put down the novel, please set aside the remote, close your laptop, put down the food; step into a time of silence, praying for God to reveal to your heart how He wishes to change you! All other things will pass away as froth, His Word will never do so, and it cries out from your desk awaiting your heart's desire!

No comments: