Friday, March 11, 2011

To Depart or To Remain...

The inspiration for this post came from two stories, albeit from Facebook posts, about the life and outlook of two elderly persons. I'll repost them without reference to where the original contributions came from.

1. "Just spent some time with a wonderful 94 year old saint. It is good to see men and women who have run the race well."

2. "An elderly man just summed up life for me: "You live life, love your wife, play with your kids, stay busy raising them to be independent adults...then all of a sudden everyone is gone, time stands still, and it's just you."

Being one prone to depression and a "less-than-positive" outlook on life, I naturally resonate with the second man's summation of life. However, as I have been reflecting quite heavily upon the book of Philippians, my thoughts are drawn to Paul's life summary in his letter to this beloved congregation.

"For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain. If I am to live in the flesh, that means fruitful labor for me. Yet which I shall choose I cannot tell. I am hard pressed between the two. My desire is to depart and be with Christ, for that is far better. But to remain in the flesh is more necessary on your account. Convinced of this, I know that I will remain and continue with you, for your progress and joy in the faith, so that in me you may have ample cause to glory in Christ Jesus, because my coming to you again." - Philippians 1:21-26

(The italicized portions are where my focus is to be placed.)

To enjoy the eternal blessing of closeness to Jesus is by far the thing I desire
above everything else. How great the thought that I will be forever with my Lord! I say with John, "Come, Lord Jesus!" (And come quickly at that!) But as Spurgeon put it: "The Lord’s 'quickly' may not be my 'quickly'; and if so, let him do what seemeth him good." Christ has not yet returned, and I have not departed, so what is my lot? My lot is to remain in the flesh for others' progress and joy in the faith.

So, how does that play out in the scenarios above...


1: This person has learned to live the life of a disciple of Christ by way of longevity. They ran their race well and have strained and struggled to the glory of God. These faithful saints serve as examples; we are called to learn from them how to run the race well, that Christ will be honored in our body "whether by life or death." Perhaps they are without their spouse, their children, or even a friend in the world (although doubtful, fully possible), yet they strive on towards the "upward call of God." It would be far better for them to depart and be with Christ, for all is gain in that moment, but it is necessary for them to remain, that they may bolster the faith of others.

2: This person sits alone in a room with no comfort other than the occasional nurse or visitor who graces his door. For a vivid picture, think Carl Fredricksen from Disney Pixar's "Up." A man who's identity was defined by his wife and their relationship, it was his source of happiness; but in the loss of his wife, his identity is lost and his purpose is swept away in a matter of moments. Yes, the movie develops and Mr. Fredricksen finds a "new adventure" with the exuberant Russell, but that is a movie. (Also, he never finds Jesus, so the ending isn't complete). My point is twofold: 1, such people have nothing to gain in death and nothing of necessity to live for; 2, myself and other Christians are necessary that this man may find joy in the faith.

Paul's desire was to depart and be with Christ, but it was necessary for him to remain and continue his work for the sake of others, that their faith may progress and overflow with joy. Therefore, we reach the conclusion that although it is gain to die and be with Christ, we remain in the flesh to help others progress in their faith and take great joy in that faith. My heart rejoices in the testimony of the first person in this post, and I weep for the man who lives without joy. Though I may never meet either of these persons, there are people in my life who exemplify both positions.

Father, I long to depart and be forever with You, but I have been reminded by Your Word and the lives of my fellow man that this is not yet my lot. Grant me the grace of strength to find my joy always in You, never looking to my circumstances for a sense of identity or purpose. May I live in such a way that You are glorified and the faith of others progresses as they look to You as the source of their joy. Forgive me, Lord, for I am a selfish man who desires to gain through my death and the coming of Your Son. Thank you for this midday reminder that I am to be poured out as an offering for the sake of others. I lift this prayer in the precious name of Jesus Christ.

No comments: